Wednesday 1 July 2015, 8.30am-9.30am
National Theatre Wales (NB: further info at bottom of agenda)
Chair: Michelle Carwardine-Palmer
The purpose of What Next?
BROAD AIM: to find new ways of engaging with our audience and visitors: the ever-expanding millions who value and take part in the cultural work that happens day-in, day-out up and down this country.
GUIDING STAR: to encourage the people of this country, as individuals and as communities, to see connections between the many different ways art and culture affect and enhance our lives; to urge everyone to register their endorsement of – and pleasure in – their art and culture, especially where these are under threat.
WN? Cardiff site (agendas, members, etc.): https://whatnextcardiff.wordpress.com
WN? UK movement website: www.whatnextculture.org
Cardiff: www.twitter.com/wncardiff or @WNCardiff and #wn2015 #wnculture
UK: www.twitter.com/whatnextculture and #wn2014 #wnculture
1. Welcome and Introductions
– Working group looking at dates and content for Wales-focussed weekend.
- BBC/ACW Partnership and BBC Charter:
– Working group to respond to obtain and respond to BBC Commissioning doc and PVP agreement
– Working group to consider how WN? Cardiff can contribute to BBC Charter
- Capital of Culture (Europe) bid 2023: identify and invite leader from UK cities (Liverpool, Dublin, Glasgow) to speak (Yvette Vaughn Jones)
- Commonwealth Games : Identify and invite member of bidding team to WN? Cardiff. (Chris Ricketts)
- WN? UK Manchester meeting: See attachments.
- Taking over Day: See attachment.
- WN? Cardiff Manifesto Briefing Doc: Yvonne collating input from group.
- Conservatives: Ceri has invited Suzi Davies to WN? July 15.
- Plaid: Ceri to identify who to invite
- Lib Dems: Wiard Stark, Chris Ricketts
- Greens: David making contact
- UKIP: David making contact
- Labour: DM Ken Skates joining future WN? Meeting. Discuss WN? Manifesto Briefing document points.
Supporting documents can be found in the WN? Google drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7XNgcLXw2ntLTBfdF9EZTVvMGc&authuser=2
4. Welcome Ann Kellaway to present on ACW Statistics
5. Documents/Topics to be discussed at future WN?
- Equality, Diversity and Social Justice: Time for Positive Action (attached and on Google drive ) – speech from Kerry Michael at NitroBEAT
- SUSTAINABILITY DUTY: Identify and invite the lead individuals from the following to future WN? meeting:
– Prosperity, Resilience, Health, Equality, Communities, Welsh Language, Global Responsibility.
- Future WN? speaker/topics:
– 22nd July – Julia Armour (Hull City of Culture)
PLEASE NOTE FUTURE HOST VENUES:
- BBC NOW 8 July – 29 July
** August break **
- WNO 9 Sept – 14 Oct
- Sherman Cymru 21 Oct – 25 Nov
- Creative Economy, Cardiff University 2 Dec – 16 Dec
Information on venue:
National Theatre Wales will be hosting What Next? through to the 1st July.
Address: 30 Castle Arcade, Cardiff, CF10 1BW. The arcade is accessible via St Mary and Castle Streets. Please head straight up the stairs upon arrival.
There is ample bicycle parking on Castle Street, right opposite the entrance to the castle, outside the Welsh Crafts shop.
It is approximately a brisk 5-minute walk from Cardiff Central Station.
The closest car park is Cardiff Westgate Street (http://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/cardiff-westgate-street/) – a 1-2 hour tariff is £6.50.
We also have a range of bicycles for use by staff and friends of NTW. If it would help you to borrow a bike for travel to and from What Next? please just speak to Michaela or Michelle.
Refreshments will not be provided, however Torre Coffee, at 3 Castle Street (one door down from the arcade towards St Mary’s Street) opens at 8am.
- 2 July: Breaking out of the Box 2: An event bringing together theatres, arts centres, performers, producers, companies and other creative professionals working across the performing arts to discuss barriers to access and diversity. We will specifically be focusing on D/deaf and Hard of Hearing performers and audiences.
For more information and to book click here: http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/breaking-out-of-the-box-chwalur-muriau-2015-tickets-17136422501?aff=eac2
- 13th July: The Commercial Case for Investment in the Arts
Time: 8am – 11am
Venue: Central London (TBA)
- 14th July: Culture, Creativity and the Academy: Exploring the New Normal. theculturecapitalexchange.co.uk/2015/04/15/tcce-annual-conference-culture-creativity-and-the-academy-exploring-the-new-normal
- 24-Hour Culture Project – Please see documents here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7XNgcLXw2ntLTBfdF9EZTVvMGc&usp=sharing
- New Culture & Poverty document: http://gov.wales/topics/cultureandsport/tackling-poverty-through-culture/?skip=1&lang=en